We preserve, study and disseminate knowledge about Swedish culture in Finland.
The Society of Swedish Literature in Finland (SLS) is a scholarly society operating in the fields of archives, research, publishing and wealth management. SLS employs about 100 people in Helsinki and Vaasa.
- funds research in the humanities and social sciences
- documents culture, language and traditions in Swedish in Finland
- publishes academic literature in the humanities and social sciences
- publishes folk music
- makes cultural heritage digitally accessible in line with the principle of open access
- maintains an academic library
- annually awards literary prizes to prominent literary and academic writers.
Our work is possible thanks to the donations made by private individuals since the founding of SLS in 1885. SLS is one of the largest managers of assets for the public good in Finland and one of the major private funders of research into the Swedish language and Swedish cultural heritage in Finland.
SLS owns and manages the Swedish Cultural Foundation in Finland.
SLS was founded in 1885 in memory of national poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg.