Webinar: Hilma Granqvist – a Pioneer in Palestine. Anthropological Fieldwork in the 1920s
- 15:00 till 16:30
- Online via Zoom
Hilma Granqvist – a Pioneer in Palestine
Anthropological Fieldwork in the 1920s
The Finnish anthropologist Hilma Granqvist did groundbreaking work on the daily life of the villagers of Artas. A large part of her professional archive – from photographs to field notes – has now been published online on granqvist.sls.fi. The webinar presents the unique heritage of Granqvist and the village of Artas today.
A link will be sent to all participants by e-mail, for more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org@ofni .
3:00 pm – 3:45 pm
- Opening words, Dr. Pekka Lindqvist, FIME/Åbo Akademi
- The life and work of Hilma Granqvist, Dr. Sofia Häggman, Museum of Mediterranean and Near Eastern Antiquities
- The digital archive of Hilma Granqvist, Dr. Patricia Berg, SLS
- Tracing Hilma Granqvist. Observations from the archives, project researcher Kira Pihlflyckt, FIME
3:50 pm – 4:30 pm
- Portrait of Artas: Nineteenth Century Colonialist ambitions in Palestine, Dr. Ali Qleibo, lecturer at Al Quds University, visiting professor at Tokyo University and Kyoto University
- Greetings from the volunteers of Hilma Granqvist’s house in Artas
- Closing remarks, Ms Päivi Peltokoski, Ambassador of Finland to Palestine
Organized by The Finnish Institute in the Middle East (FIME), The Society of Swedish Literature in Finland (SLS) and the Representative Office of Finland, Ramallah, Palestine.
The language of the event is English. You can watch the webinar recording later on the SLS YouTube channel.